Sunday, September 12, 2010

Thinking about The Team

I know I'm going to get a few questions after Tuesday on how much work this event is going to be for everyone else - it's nice that I'm volunteering my time, but who else is going to have to work on this, and how much? So I'm thinking about what other people I'll need. Here's a first crack:

  1. Theme & Decorations Chair - I'll be frank; I'm not good at this.  I need someone visual, someone good at party planning.  I think I have this covered; the foundation chair said either she'd do this or get someone who can.  
  2. Food and Drinks Chair - the foundation chair, again.  She has a catering background, and said this is easy for her to do.
  3. Procurement helpers  - I'll take the lead on procurement - send the letters, take the phone calls, do the follow up, store the stuff. But two or three people who I could ask to make pick-ups would help. 
  4. Ticket sales chair - I can do this if need be, but as a new parent at the school, I don't have too much of a base here.  If I can find someone to spearhead a sales effort at meetings and picnics and the like, that would help. We'll have online ticket-sales capability through the SchoolAuction.net software, so that helps.
  5. Event-night workers - I'm going to pursue a volunteer-swap with one of the other area school auctions - their volunteers can work our event; ours will work theirs.  My general break-down for that swap-crew is 8 people total, for 6 hours each: 4 people for the front desk; 4 to be runners and will-call staff.  We'll need 5-6 more people to help with set-up on event day; that's probably a 4-hour committment. We'll all pitch in to clean up.
  6. The rest: someone with a truck or van will be helpful to find, for event-day hauling. It might be nice to print a small program; I bet I can get my wife to help lay that out. I can handle sponsorship sales.
What do you think?  What am I leaving out?

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to identify who is in charge of the event-day volunteers so they have someone to check-in with and ask questions of. When we've forgotten to do this it was chaotic for the volunteers (especially if you do a swap and the volunteers don't know you).

    We also have a sub-chair for Marketing - creating fliers, hanging fliers, decorating windows, any advertising or media releases, etc.

    ReplyDelete